As a kit in the '80s many of my very first mecha models were IMAI and ARII Macross kits. I built nearly everything that was available, back when we had to send off a check and wait 6-8 weeks for a new kit! Ah GTC, how I loved thee. As I remember I even built one of the Revell Robotech variable Valkyries without instructions after an unfortunate car theft in New York City. Hasegawa was kind enough to pick up the Macross model license some years back, and produced some beautiful kits. We're talking crisp detail on par with what you find in modern aircraft kits, and a lot of very happy modelers!THE BUILD
The VF-1S Strike Valkyrie in Battroid mode is shamefully the only Hasegawa Macross kit I've gotten around to. However, it's a beaut. An OOB build would be perfectly acceptable, and that's almost what I did. But I can't resist a little customization, so I fixed up a few things. The model was painted primarily with Testors acrylics in custom mixes where required. A bit hard to tell from the photos but the various jet nozzles were painted in Alclad Chrome and shaded with tinted clears. The result is very shiny and metallic looking in person.
The work I did was so minor that I didn't take any construction photos. Here's the breakdown:
1. Scratchbuilt a replacement front foot section, hoping to get a little bit more splayed/dynamic shape as seen in the anime.
2. Scratchbuilt new hip intake vents for a more louvred look.
3. Added custom decals for the VF logos on the legs, black shape with triangle on the shoulders, and a few other bits.
4. Backed the shoulder light clear part with a custom decal to add the detail lines.
5. Full repaint, tossed the striping decals (I built the Hikaru instead of Roy Fokker version).
That covers it. Go check out the pics below!